Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Good Mowning Teachah! (followed by a bow)


Today was my second day of teaching grade 6 at Haenam-Dong elementary school. I rotate through ten classes of 15 students, teaching 3 classes a day. The kids get one block of ESL, one block of Gym, and one block of Art per day. At this point, I only teach ESL. The classes are evenly split between boys and girls. I have been teaching a review unit consisting of days of the week, months of the year, introducing yourself, introducing others and just now I’m starting the Olympics unit. I teach using music, colouring, games, chanting (in a non-cultish wayJ) and drama. I have a Korean co-teacher – Nan ji. Nan ji is very helpful. I am the lead teacher and she aids my by translating when needed or by reprimanding the kids. She is also a great person to debrief my lessons with. We are about the same age and get along really well. I’m realizing that this is not always the case when you get a co-teacher. She is with me in the mornings and then I’m alone in the afternoons. As you can imagine, classroom management is very different without Nan ji. Even though the kids bow when they see me, or stand when I ask them to speak out loud, they are still kids and would love to take over the class if I’m not careful – especially when they can band together in Korean and I have no idea what’s going on!

I have found that I am so animated when I teach. I really feel like I find a zone when I’m in front of the class. I love to make the kids laugh! Today we were discussing what sound a bumblebee makes. I (sort of successfully) drew a bee on the board. They say that a bee makes the sound “wwaaaayyyy” and I say a bee makes the sound “zzzzzz.” So who’s right? Cultural relativity within onomatopoeia at it’s finest.
I also love to say their names – which makes them laugh even harder! Seriously – the name “Kim Chang Ok” looks pretty simple, right!? Wrong! “Kim” is the boy’s last name. “Chang Ok” is his first name. The “a” in “Chang” is pronounced like the “a” in “want” and then “Ok” is pronounced “Oh.” Though they laugh incessantly, I insist on using their names. I want them to know that I know who they are (even though I never remember outside of class). The students try very hard and I find they are stronger than I thought they would be. They know how to introduce themselves, others, produce full sentences, talk about their hobbies, and use some simple colloquialisms. A group of girls approached me at my desk today at lunch. “Teachah, you eyes… lenses? Bewy Beautibul!” “No,” I replied “I am wearing contact lenses, but they aren’t coloured.” “Wow teachah… bewy blue and beautibul!”

Common, I know you love them already, and you’re not even here!

This banner is posted next to the entrance of the school. I wonder if the kids were
disappointed when they found out that we, the Canadians, were not the camp itself! 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment