Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tumultuous Transitions

The time has come to transition into the world of paid work. After five years of university, I've secured two jobs. This summer, I will be teaching English in Korea. Once I come back at the end of August, I will be teaching English to immigrants and refugees. Based on the recommendations of friends, as well as some inspiration from my last roommate Susanne, I feel that this would not only be a great way to keep everyone informed, but also a great way for me to journal and reflect on my teaching practices. 

In two days I will embark on the thirteen hour flight to Seoul, Korea. From what I understand, this is a direct flight over the arctic... If there is anywhere on earth I DON'T want to practice my emergency plane landing techniques, it's in the arctic. Canadian Connection, the company who hires and sends, is sending thirty Canadian teachers to Korea together to teach at a kid's summer camp. Most of the teachers are from the Toronto Catholic District School Board and they are the ones who created the curriculum. I have not met anyone else going on the trip, and look forward to getting to know at least one person during the thirteen hours where we will be potentially, possibly awkwardly, brushing deltoids. Hmm... should I bring the "Book of Questions?" I wonder if for dinner Korean Air will give us something semi-recognizable. 

I've been spending lots of time packing and planning over the last few days. I'm going through my closet looking for teaching clothes that can fit the "hotter than Hades" description of Korea's temperature right now. I think I've found what I need. I've packed it all around the excessive amount of sunscreen I'm bringing. Short of the weather, I'm not totally sure what to expect in regards to culture. I have an awkward sensation that I may have just signed up for the six week Korean Seaweed Diet. I believe that starting Thursday, there is an adventure at hand. Life in itself is an adventure, but there does come a time when an adventure presents itself that is out of the cultural norm - this will be one of those. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey friend! We should skype while we're in the same sort of time zone hey! Glad to hear you made it to Korea safely! Can't wait to read your next post, and maybe even hear about it. : ) love Sus

    ReplyDelete